sometimes a great recipe says it all...
read it and weep: Roasted Parsnip and Apple Soup from guiltykitchen.com (a new fave of mine)
Yield: about 4-5 large servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 90 minutes
1 1/2 lb. parsnips
4 Tbsp butter
1 1/4 lbs. tart apples (granny smith, pink lady, etc.)
1 small sweet onion
1 lb. waxy potatoes (such as Yukon gold)
1/2 tsp each ground ginger, cumin and nutmeg
1 tsp coriander seeds, pulverized
2 litres vegetable stock (or chicken)
1/2 cup cream
kosher salt to taste
fresh ground pepper to taste
Shaved Parmesan for garnish
1. Peel parsnips and roughly chop into 1″ pieces.
2. Place parsnips in roasting dish and dot with 3 tbsp of butter. Bake at 400°F for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 or 15 minutes.
3. In large heavy bottomed pot, heat remaining tbsp of butter over medium. Add onions and cook until translucent.
4. Add in potatoes, apples and spices and sauté for five minutes.
5. Add in roasted parsnips and stock and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and allow to cook for 20 minutes or until all vegetables and fruit is softened.
6. Using an immersion blender, stand blender or food processor, blend the soup into a smooth purée (in batches if using a blender or food processor).
7. Pour back into pot and reheat, stirring in cream and seasoning to taste.
8. Ladle into bowls and top with a sprinkle of Parmesan for garnish
Tomorrow is your last chance to get your knives sharpened before Thanksgiving!!!! Though Guyank Brand was scheduled to come this Saturday, something has come up and they will try to be here next Saturday instead.
Only two more markets before we fold up our tents for the season... STOCK UP! our first MONTHLY winter market will be Dec. 10th. It will be held in the Library lot....
Make sure you pick up a winter schedule at the market tent...or check out website regularly for updates (hastingsfarmersmarket.org).
MARK YOUR CALENDARS: We will have a pre-Thanksgiving Farmers Market in Irvington (101 Main St.) on Wed. Nov. 23rd from 1 to 5 p.m. We will have a spice and exotic salt vendor to jazz up your bird and we will be selling cornmeal and whole wheat flour straight from the grist mill at Philipsburg Manor. Plus, Flourish Bakery from Scarsdale will have gorgeous pies and crostatas...